Community Builder Official Contest Rules
The OnPoint Prize for Excellence in Education -
Educator of the Year
2019 Official Contest Rules
No Purchase Necessary
1. Contest Description
“The OnPoint Prize for Excellence in Education – Educator of the Year” (the “Educator Prize”) - is sponsored by OnPoint Community Credit Union, with its principal place of business located at 2701 NW Vaughn Street, Suite 800, Portland, Oregon, 97210 (“Sponsor”). The nominations will be accepted for the contest between February 19 and April 8, 2019. Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. By entering The OnPoint Prize for Excellence in Education – Educator of the Year, each entrant accepts and agrees to be bound by these Official Contest Rules (the “Official Rules”).
To be eligible, an applicant must be a legal resident of the United States or its territories. An applicant must be an educator providing public or private educational services. Applicants may be full-time or job-share classroom teachers, counselors, or librarians of grades K-8 or 9-12 (including school-based Special Education and Transition programs serving students ages 18-21) in an accredited public, private or charter school or educational organization. School must be accredited by an accepted regional or national accreditation agency recognized by the Oregon or Washington Department of Education. The school or organization must be located within any county that OnPoint serves (Benton, Clackamas, Columbia, Crook, Deschutes, Jefferson, Lane, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Washington, and Yamhill counties in Oregon and Clark and Skamania counties in Washington). Job-share co-applicants: Each applicant must complete a separate application and submit them together. If job-share co-applicants win Educator of the Year, they will split the award. An applicant need not be a public official or public employee employed by a public body to be eligible. Applicants performing more than 10% school administrative duties, or providing instruction as a substitute teacher are ineligible. OnPoint employees and immediate family members of employees of OnPoint are not eligible to participate in this contest. No purchase is necessary. Must be 18 years of age or older to enter. Applicants must comply with any employer rules or requirements for participation. Sponsor reserves the right to assess each applicant based on publically available information (including but not limited to search engine results, public social media posts, etc.). Information discovered through this process will be used solely for the purpose of evaluating applicant’s eligibility for the OnPoint Prize Educator of the Year. Information will not be used to discriminate against an applicant on the basis of race, color, religion/creed, sex/gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, genetic information, marital/familial status, disability, military, veteran status, or any other protected status. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify ineligible entries; such entries will not be returned.
In order to be eligible, teachers and their schools must have an adopted nondiscrimination policy outlining the school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion/creed, sex/gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, genetic information, marital/familial status, disability, military, veteran status, or any other protected status.
How to Enter:
Each contest entrant must complete the following to enter the OnPoint Prize for Excellence in Education:
- Online application forms are encouraged; however, physical nomination packets can also be dropped off at any OnPoint branch location.
- The online application can be found at www.onpointprize.com.
- If you choose to submit a physical nomination packet, print out a PDF version of the nomination form (found online at www.onpointprize.com) and mail nomination form (all completed parts) to: The OnPoint Prize Selection Committee, PO Box 3750, Portland, Oregon 97208.
- It is the responsibility of the nominator or the nominee to fill out the form accurately. Nominations must be received by 5:30 pm on Monday, April 8, 2019.
- The entry must comply with the guidelines outlined on the application form. If the entry does not comply with the guidelines, The OnPoint Prize Selection Committee reserves the right to disqualify the entry.
- The contest will stop accepting entries after 5:30 pm PDT on Monday, April 8, 2019.
- If you submit a physical nomination packet and would like to have your entry sent back to you after judging is complete, you must include an envelope and/or box with pre-paid postage and mailing information filled out. This should be included with your entry.
- No part of the online submission will be returned.
3. Judging Criteria
Entries will be judged by a Selection Committee comprised of representatives from OnPoint who are interested in, experienced with, and involved in education. The facilitators will not be permitted to enter the contest if they are selected as contest judges.
The entries will be judged on the following criteria: (a) demonstrated examples of the teacher’s creativity, innovation and enthusiasm in the classroom; (b) exemplary teaching methods and effectiveness; (c) teaching methods that have a lasting impact on students, parents and peers (d) three letters of recommendation from sources such as teacher’s principal, a peer and a student/or student family member.
All decisions of the Selection Committee are final and are not subject to appeal.
Entries will be scored with a uniform matrix based upon the criteria set forth above as they are received. The winners will be determined between April 8 – May 7, 2019. Circle of Excellence (up to 10 educators) will be announced by 5:30 pm on May 7, 2019. From the Circle of Excellence, (4) finalists will be announced. From the finalists, the two Educators of the Year (K-8 and 9-12) will be announced on www.onpointprize.com no later than June 1, 2019.
- “Educator of the Year – K-8"
- “Educator of the Year – 9-12”
Both winners will receive a prize of their mortgage paid for one year, which is payments equaling twelve (12) monthly mortgage payments. Maximum mortgage payment of $2,000 per month. Proof of monthly mortgage payment will be required. Mortgage calculation will be based on actual monthly mortgage payment less any property tax, homeowner’s insurance, mortgage insurance, escrow payments, etc. If the winners do not have a mortgage, an equal amount of monthly rent for twelve (12) months will be awarded. Maximum rent payment of $2,000 per month. Proof of monthly rent payment will be required. Rent calculation will be based on actual rent due less any utility costs or other expenses. If the winners do not have a documented mortgage or a rent payment, a total cash award will be given in the amount of $12,000. Upon verification of monthly mortgage or rent, the total award payment will be issued as a check made payable to the individuals named Educator of the Year. The Educator of the Year’s (K-8 and 9-12) school will receive $2,500 for resources and supplies.
The two Finalists (one each representing grades K-8 and 9-12) will receive $5,000 personally and $1,500 to his/her school for resources and supplies.
Up to six Circle of Excellence winners (representing grades K-12) will receive $1,500 personally and $1,000 to his/her school for resources and supplies.
OnPoint Prize winners who are current members of OnPoint Community Credit Union must be in good standing with the credit union in order to be awarded the associated prize as described above.
Tax Consequences: Winners will be solely responsible for any and all local, state, and federal taxes incurred by their participation in the contest and acceptance of such prizes. Prizes may not be exchanged for cash or any other consideration unless stated in the 2019 Official Contest Rules. Winners may elect to receive the award in one installment (paid in June 2019) or two installments (paid in June 2019 and January 2020). Sponsor will report any individual winnings over $600 (in cash or fair market value of goods or services) in a one-year period to the Internal Revenue Service. Winners will receive a Form 1099 from Sponsor for the value of any prize received subject to IRS reporting requirements. Sponsor may require a completed Form W-9 from the winner in order to submit the appropriate Form 1099 to the IRS.
5. Conditions and Limitations Apply
- This promotion is void where prohibited by law.
- Sponsor reserves the right to edit photographs or video submitted.
- Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries, including due to network failure.
- Sponsor reserves the right to use any information submitted by entrants for any lawful purpose.
- Previous OnPoint Prize finalists and Circle of Excellence educators must wait two consecutive years after their previous nomination before applying for the OnPoint Prize again.
- Previous OnPoint Prize Educator of the Year winners are not eligible to apply for this award again.
- All winners agree to the use of their names and likenesses in publicity without notice or any additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By entering this contest, the winners acknowledge that Sponsor has the right to publicize and broadcast their name, voice, and likeness, the fact that they won, and all matters incidental thereto. Sponsor is not obligated to attribute submissions to their entrant.
- By entering this promotion, each entrant releases Sponsor and its respective directors, officers, employees, agents, and subsidiaries from any and all liability, claims, causes of action, suits, and demands arising from or in connection with its lawful actions in conducting the promotion.
- These rules are subject to modification by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
- An entrant is not a winner unless and until entrant’s eligibility has been verified and entrant has been notified that verification is complete. In the event that a winner is determined to be ineligible, his or her prize will be forfeited and Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate winner from among remaining eligible entries.
- Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the Contest without awarding prizes if no eligible winner or alternate winners accept the prizes within the required time.
6. Additional Submission Rules
By participating in the Contest and submitting materials (the “Materials”) to OnPoint Prize for Excellence in Education – Educator of the Year award you agree to and represent the following:
- You grant to OnPoint, its affiliates, subsidiaries, and licensees a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive and fully sub licensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display the Materials in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, to identify you in conjunction with such uses of the Materials, and to incorporate them in other works, in any form, in any and all media now known or ever devised, in any and all versions, worldwide in perpetuity for any purpose, including, but not limited to, broadcast, streaming, broadband, outreach, promotion, publicity, marketing, and advertisement of OnPoint and any of its properties or programming services.
- You are authorized to submit the Materials for the contest, and you grant the rights in the Materials, as stated herein, whether or not OnPoint chooses to use the Materials for any particular purpose or at any particular time. You represent that you own all rights, title, and interest in the Materials or that you otherwise have authority to submit the Materials and to grant the license described herein. You represent that you have obtained all permissions, clearance, and releases from any third parties necessary to allow your submission and OnPoint’s use of the Materials, as set forth herein.
- You represent that the Materials are not (a) unlawful, obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, fraudulent, abusive, pornographic, harassing, or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, or does or could give rise to civil liability or violate any law, rule, or regulation, or is otherwise objectionable; (b) non-public information about any company that you are not authorized to disclose; and (c) an advertisement, solicitation, chain letter, pyramid scheme, investment opportunity, or other unsolicited commercial communication.
- You agree not to make any claim against OnPoint, its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees, and assigns as a result of your participation in this promotion, any use of or decision not to use the Materials, including, but not limited to, any claim that such use invades any right of privacy, publicity, or both.
- You understand that, other than the opportunity to enter this contest, you will not be paid any money or receive any form of compensation for giving OnPoint these rights. You further understand you will not be reimbursed for any costs you may have incurred in connection with submitting the Materials.
- You represent that you are at least 18 years old and otherwise satisfy the entry and eligibility requirements described in these Official Rules.